Leminster (UK) Leominster, l lmn s tr, LEM -n-str, is a city located in the central part of Massachusetts, the United States, and in the northern part of the county. According to the 2010 census, the population was 40,759, the second largest in Worcester County. Leminster is in the north of Worcester City and in the west of Boston City. Massachusetts Route 2 and Route 12 run through the city. All of Inter-State Expressway Route 190, Massachusetts State Road No. 13 and No. 117 have their starting and ending points in the city. The city borders Fitzburg City and Lunenberg Town on the north, Lancaster Town on the east, Stirling Town and Princeton Town on the south, and Westminster Town on the west.
| Nickname: |
Pioneer Plastic pioneer city
the locations of Worcester County (Pink) and Leminster City (Red) in Massachusetts
|- Type||Act of the Mayor and the City Government Commission|
|- Mayor||Dean J. Matzarera|
|· Total||29.7mi2 (77.7 km2)|
|· Land||18.9mi2 (74.3 km2)|
|- Water surface||0.9mi2 (2.1 km2)|
|equal time||UTC-5 (Eastern Standard Time)|
|· Daylight saving time||UTC-4 (Eastern Daylight Time)|
|Postal code|| |
|area code||351 / 978|
|GNIS feature ID||0617697|
The Leminster area was initially home to a wide range of Penakuk and Nipmak Indians on the Nashua. The river provided fertile soil for growing corn, beans, pumpkins, and cigarettes.
The European pioneers began to arrive in the middle of the 17th century, and in 1653 the region of Leminster was first established as a part of Lancaster Town.
The European settlers and the Indians had lived in friendly ways for many years, but in 1675 the King of Philip War began. The fierce war between the Indians and the early pioneers killed many, and no inhabitants lived in the area. After the war, Lancaster Town was virtually deserted, but in 1701, a new land was sold out. The pioneers discussed the land with Sholan Chiefs of the Nashaway tribe to avoid further conflict with the Indians. There was only a handful of land legally acquired in central Massachusetts.
By 1737, the Leminster area had increased in population and became incorporated as a town. On July 4, 1740, Leminster Town was officially incorporated into the public.
During the American Civil War, Leminster was a major center of activity on the Metro (secret association). The Emory Stern and John Drake homes became bases of the anti-slavery movement and sheltered the fugitive.
In the early days of Leminster, the town was a small agricultural town, but by the beginning of the 19th century, the economy was rapidly transformed into an industrial one. Around 1800, the 5th Massachusetts Turnpike was opened, and in 1808, the Union Turnpike and Cambridge and Concord Turnpike were connected, and the town became the hub of regional transportation. However, Leminster's industry has become truly industrialized with the opening of the Fitzberg Railway, which passes through North Leminster and then into Boston, and the Fitzburg and Worcester Railway, which passes through the town center. By the 1850s, the manufacturing industry, the piano industry, and the combs had built factories along the Monusnock Brook and the Nashua River. The early pioneers of Leminster were mainly English descendants, but soon many immigrants came to work in the expanding factory. The first large number of immigrants were from Ireland, followed by immigrants from France and Italy in the early 20th century. These new waves of immigrants have increased the population from 2,069 in 1840 to 19,744 in 1920, nearly ten times in 80 years. In 1915, Leminster was officially incorporated as a city.
Among the many different industries established in Leminster, the comb-making industry was especially prosperous. By 1853, 146 workers worked at 24 comb factories across the town. However, by the mid-1800s, natural materials such as the horns and hoofs of animals to produce combs were rapidly reduced and a substitute material was required. The answer was a new material called celluloid, which was invented in 1868. The new plastic has transformed the comb manufacturing industry and Leminster is nicknamed "The City of Combs." The utility of celluloid gave him the opportunity to produce various goods besides combs.
The second invention that led to the innovation of plastic production in Leminster was the development of the present invention of injection molding technology. Samuel Foster, a Leminster immigrant from Germany, learned about injection-molding machines invented in Germany in the early 1920s. Mr. Foster soon called for a similar machine to be made at his Foster Grant factory in Leminster. The new technology has benefited greatly from the plastic industry in the city and in the country. The largest plastic manufacturer in the city was Viscoglio, established in 1901 by Bernard Wendell Doyle. In 1913, Viscoliodo started to manufacture toys from pyroxylene plastic and became the largest employer in the city by 1923. The Wisconoid company was bought by DuPont in 1925 and renamed DuPont Wiscondo. Soon after, Leminster came to be called the "plastic pioneer city" because of his important role in the history of the plastic industry. There were large-scale manufacturing companies in the city, including Standard Tour, Selig, C.E. Buckle, and Whitney Carriage. Whitney was the largest manufacturer in the world.
In 1956, plastic pink flamingo ornaments on the grass were produced at Reminster Union Products. The famous ornament was designed by Don Featherstone and modeled on a photo of the flamingo on National Geographic.
The growth of the plastic industry of Leminster slowed due to the Great Depression, but in the late 20th century the overall plastic industry declined. With the nationwide decline of the manufacturing industry, the factory moved to a base where it could be manufactured at low cost in Japan or overseas. The landscape of Leminster changed, but the population continued to increase even in the 21st century, and in 2000, it was the second largest city in Worcester County, surpassing Fitzburg, the twin city. In the latter half of the 20th century, the Latino society also grew significantly.
In recent years, with the construction of Massachusetts Route 2 and Interstate Expressway Route 190, Leminster has turned into a city with strong commercial and suburban colors. A shopping center was built, including Twin City Plaza and Mall at Whitney Field, with the city growing as a commercial center, making it one of the largest centers of retail business in central Massachusetts. Cheap land has also made it an attractive residential area for Worcester and commuters to Boston. Still, Leminster retains some of the manufacturing legacy and many plastic manufacturing companies have facilities in the city.
According to the National Census Bureau, the total area of the city is 29.8 square miles (77 km2), of which land area is 28.9 square miles (75 km2), water area is 0.9 square miles (2.3 km 2), and water area is 2.96%.
Leminster is mainly on the plateau above the Nashua. The river flows through the eastern part of the city, traverses the north, and then meanors towards Fitzburg. The northern and western parts of the city are rocky terrain with scattered hills. The most prominent hill is Monus Nook Hill from north to south and is located in the western part of the city. South Monusque Hill is 1,020 feet high (311 meters), the highest point in the city. In the 19th century, the southern hill was cut out of granite which was used as the foundation of the house. To the west of these two hills lies the reservoir and the Leminster state forest. To the east, Monusque Brook, meandering towards the center of the city, has become a precious source of power in the early days of the industry.
The city is divided into several small "villages" such as French Hill. The French Hill is a large hill with three-storied apartments lined up from Street 1 to Street 1. It is called French Hill because there are many immigrants from France here. In the early 20th century, immigrants from Italy entered the society, which was half closed, and which lasted for a long time was Lincoln Terrace. French immigrants built a new church and moved close to it. Other regions include Horseshoe, North Remington, Rice Hill, The Flats, The Bowery, Westside and Carburn. Carburn lies along the border with Fitzburg in the city, and the name is given to the fact that the trolley of the Fitzburg and Remington Railway was stored and maintained in the area. Currently, buses are operated. A sign of granite indicating the birthplace of Johnny Appleseed is seen along Johnny Appleseed Lane.
|* = population estimate. Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data.|
The following is demographic data from the 2000 census.
Households and family (number of households)
income and family
In 2000, according to the structure of employment in the city, the management and professional fields were the largest employing more than 32% of the city's workforce. This was followed by 26.8% of sales and clerical jobs and 20.2% of education, medical and social services. The manufacturing industry accounts for 25.5% of the city's workforce. 84.3% of the workers commute to work alone, and 9.1% use a ride. 1.7% use public transportation and 1.7% walk to work. The average commuting time is 25 minutes one way.
Leminster has a long history of culture, including various theater groups, entertainment groups, exhibitions and entertainment events. The Leminster Colonial Band, established by Italian immigrants in 1910, has held free summer concerts since the 1930s. The annual Christmas concert began in 1990 and became a popular tradition in the city. Since 1973, the Seyer Symphony Orchestra has been operating in central Massachusetts. Consisting of orchestra members, community volunteers, and student musicians, it became popular, so in 2000 it moved to the Straos Ducasse Performing Arts Center at Montagset Regional Vocational Training School in Fitzburg. This orchestra concert is sold out every year. Since 1996, the Mass. Central Repertory Theater Company has been performing at Leminster's Aggregation Agdatat Acim Synagogue. The Leminster Art Association is promoting the art of the city from its base along Route 13. Every spring, the association holds a three-day exhibition at the Church of St. Leo, the main town. At the exhibition, one high school student in central Massachusetts is awarded a $500 scholarship to continue his art education.
Every June, the Starburst Festival is held at Doyle Field. The festival features live entertainment, street stalls, music performances, band concerts by Starburst Orchestra and fireworks, and attracts more than 8,000 spectators every year. The Reminster Citizens Award is also given to a man and a woman during the festival.
In September, the Johnny Apple Seed Festival is held to celebrate the autumn season and the city's hero, Johnny Apple Seed. Since 1994, it has been held at the memorial plaza and there are crafts, booths, entertainment and parades. There are more than 100 local booths, local restaurants, and food courts with multicultural groups. Until 2008, the National Plastic Center and the Museum were located in the city, but it was closed.
The Recreation Department of Leminster maintains 103 acres (412,000 meters²) of land, including many parks and game halls. Famous parks include the memorial square, Arthur A. Fulnier Memorial Park, Ibrin Hachi Park, Justin Dos Santis Field, Bacchando Field and Barrett Park. Barrett Park is a city's main sports facility and has eight tennis courts, a soccer field and a truck, a baseball field, a game hall, a stadium that can be used for football and soccer, and a club house. The Doyle Field, which opened in 1931, has 6,200 seats, and it can accommodate nearly 10,000 visitors if the special seats are included. In 2005, the stadium underwent extensive repair work and is expected to be completed in 2020. The project is divided into three stages, and the first and second stages were almost completed in 2012. Five million dollars were spent by 2012. The rooms were remodeled to accommodate changing seats, replanting new lawns, new locker rooms, kiosks, press, entertainment, pavilion and ticket counters, and the number of seats changed from 4,572 to 6,912.
The Doyle Community Park and Center is a 167-acre (668,000 meters²) free space protected area managed by the conservation trust. The Doyle Reserve Center houses the headquarters, conference rooms, and functions as a venue for the event in Center Trust, Massachusetts.
The city also has a 4,300-acre (17.2 km²) owned forest in Leminster State, which is a popular hiking area. There are Crowhill Pond and Paradise Pond in the U.S. National Forest, both becoming summer picnics and swimming entrances. In the winter, they are free to cross-country skiing, snowshoes and snowmobile.
The local golf courses include the Monusque Country Club (9 holes) and the Grand View Country Club (9 holes). There are also the Red Tail Golf Course (18 holes) and the Oak Hill Country Club (18 holes).
Leminster High School has a long and excellent tradition of sports, and its success has become a major focus of the city. Leminster High School Blue Devils Football is one of the most successful teams in the state's high school football team, including winning the state's Super Bowl title 11 times. The rival is the Red Radars of Fitzburg High School. The two teams have been competing every year on Thanksgiving Day since 1894, and the state's high school match has the second largest history after Needham and Wellesley.
Leminster High School Blue Devils players and coaches include Lou Little, Ronnie Cahill, and Frank Novak.
The city is based in Watchset Dartdowagus, a baseball league between Futures University. The team is one of the three teams that participated in the expansion of the league in 2012. The Dartdovagus is playing at the newly renovated Doyle baseball stadium.
The city of Leminster adopts the form of a city government that is based on the Mayor's and City Council of State, and only the mayor has executive power. The mayor will select all the cities in the constituency and four other members of the City Council will also be elected. There are five electoral districts in the city, and one member is selected from each ward, and a total of nine members of the Kyoto Municipal Government Committee are selected. The mayor has the right to nominate the heads of the government's departments and members of the commission, which the City Council approves. The present mayor is Dean J. Matzarera. Mazzarella took office on January 3, 1994, and continued as the 11th consecutive mayor. He is the longest mayor in the history of Leminster.
Public education in the city is run by Leminster School District. There are four elementary schools in the city, and they teach fifth grade students from kindergarten. There are two middle schools, teaching students in the sixth to eighth grade. The high school is Leminster High School's first high school, teaching students from the ninth to the twelfth grade. High schools have an academic process and a vocational course called the Center for Technical Education. The school district also has three pre-school programs.
There are two private schools in the city: the Centro Catholic School and the St. Anna Catholic School. The St. Leo Catholic School belongs to the St. Leo parish of Leminster and the St. Anna Catholic School belongs to the St. Anna parish. Both belong to the Wooster.
The higher education facilities include the Leminster Campus of Mount Watchset Community College and the neighboring Fitchberg State University of Fitchburg.
The Leminster Public Library is the main public library in the city. It was established in 1856 and changed places many times until a permanent building was established in 1910. The library trust has asked philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for help to fund the new building. Carnegie donated $27,500 and said that it was all he had to do to get the 10% budget to keep the library every year. In FY2008, 1.39% of the city's budget, and $1,183,076, were addressed to the public library. Each citizen is worth about $28.
The daily newspaper Sentinel and Enterprise, based in Fitzburg, is the main print medium in Leminster. In 1973, the company was merged with 'Fitzburg Sentinel' and 'Remington Enterprise' to form the present form. The Leminster Enterprise was first published in 1873. The newspaper maintains a satellite branch in Leminster. In Worcester County, you can also subscribe to "Worcester Telegram and Gazette", which is published in Worcester City. In the local area, "Remington Champion" is a weekly community newspaper. In the Leminster metropolitan area, "Scene Magazine" is a monthly entertainment magazine.
Leminster Access Television, a television station in Leminster City, broadcasts a program aimed at local communities. Every year, the Thanksgiving football game is also broadcast.
From North Station in Boston, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Bureau runs the FitchBerg Line of the commuter train, and there is a stop at North Remington. There is also a wide range of bus transportation that is in charge of the Montagu Set Regional Transportation Bureau. It runs in the cities of Leminster, Fitzburg and Gardner. The neighboring Fitzburg Municipal Airport is the regional hub airport.
well known native
- John Chapman, commonly known as Johnny Appleseed, the American Frontier Farmer
- Robert Cormia, best known works: "I Am the Cheese" and "Chocolate War"
- Paul Degiovanni, Rock Band Boys Like Girls guitarist
- Paul Fusco, International Photo Journalist
- James Nakthway, Cameraman in the Field, Robert Capa Prize five times
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Leominster Historical Commission Book Committee; Tremblay, Gilbert P. (2006). "Early History of Leominster". Combing through Leominster's History. Office of the Mayor. pp. 9-28
- ^ a b c d e f g h i Wizard, David (1852). "History of Leominster". History of Leominster. pp. 5-9December 23, 2012.
- ^ Capalbo, Danielle M. (January 27, 2008). "Old house in Leominster has a history". The Boston Globe
- ^ a b Leominster Historical Commission Book Committee; Tremblay, Gilbert P. (2006). "Transportation". Combing through Leominster's History. Office of the Mayor. pp. 133-144
- ^ a b 1950 Census of Population. 1: Number of Inhabitants. Bureau of the Census. (1952). Section 6, Pages 21-7 through 21-09, Massachusetts Table 4. Population of Urban Places of 10,000 or more from Earliest Census to 1920July 12, 2011. ...
- ^ a b Leominster Historical Commission Book Committee; Tremblay, Gilbert P. (2006). "Leominster, The City". Combing through Leominster's History. Office of the Mayor. pp. 29-42
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k m n o p q r Leominster Historical Commission Book Committee; Tremblay, Gilbert P. (2006). "Business and Industry". Combing through Leominster's History. Office of the Mayor. pp. 145-174
- ^ "Retro pink flamingos to hatch in New York". MSNBC. 2007. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18967357/. Retrieved on 2008-04-23. Published: May 31, 2007. From the Associated Press, on the purchase and re-production of Don Featherstone's original plastic-flamingo design.
- ^ Leominster Historical Commission Book Committee; Tremblay, Gilbert P. (2006). "The Immigration Experience". Combing through Leominster's History. Office of the Mayor. pp. 107-132
- ^ Wilder, David (1852). "Ponds, Rivers, etc.". History of Leominster. pp. 22-24December 24, 2012.
- ^ a b c d Wilder, David (1852). "Surface, Soil and Productions". History of Leominster. pp. 25-42December 24, 2012.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Read on January 31, 2008.
- ^ QT-P10|Hispanic or Latino by Type: 2010 2010 Census Summary File 1
- ^ a b c d e "Leominster city, Massachusetts Selected Economic Characteristics: 2000". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Read on January 1, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i Leominster Historical Commission Book Committee; Tremblay, Gilbert P. (2006). "Arts and Culture in Leominster". Combing through Leominster's History. Office of the Mayor. pp. 175-204 ,
- ^ a b "Thayer Symphony Orchestra Today". Thayer Symphoney Orchestra. Viewed on December 27, 2012.
- ^ History. Leominster Art Association. (2007)December 27, 2012.
- ^ Radvon, Erik (November 11, 2008). "National Plastics Center and Museum closing Lancaster Street facility by year's end". Leominster ChampionDecember 27, 2012.
- ^ a b "Leominster Recreation Department". City of Leominster, Massachusetts (2012). Viewed on December 27, 2012.
- ^ a b c Leominster Historical Commission Book Committee; Tremblay, Gilbert P. (2006). "Leominster Sports". Combing through Leominster's History. Office of the Mayor. pp. 205-222 ,
- ^ a b c d Doyle Field Renovation Project. The Doyle Field Foundation Inc. (2005-2009). Viewed on December 27, 2012.
- ^ a "About Doyle Community Park & Center Renovation Project". Trustees of Reservations. Viewed on December 27, 2012.
- ^ a b "Leominster State Forest". Department of Conservation and Recreation. Viewed on December 31, 2012.
- ^ Stout, Matt (December 3, 2011). "new, old school look to Leominster". ESPN Boston
- ^ "FCBL expands to Pittsfield, Old Orchard Beach, Wachusett". Ballpark Digest (2011). Viewed on December 31, 2012.
- ^ Gearan, Jay (July 12, 2012). "Wachusett Dirt Dawgs launch inaugural season". Worcester Telegram & Gazette
- ^ a b c " (PDF)". City of Leominster, Massachusetts. Viewed on December 26, 2012.
- ^ a "Major's Office". City of Leominster, Massachusetts (2012). Viewed on December 26, 2012.
- ^ "Our Campuses". Mount Wachusett Community College. Viewed on December 26, 2012.
- ^ C.B. Tillinghast. The free public libraries of Massachusetts. 1st Report of the Free Public Library Commission of Massachusetts. Boston: Wright & Potter, 1891. Google books
- ^ http://www.leominsterlibrary.org/ Retrieved 2010-11-10
- ^ a b Leominster Historical Commission Book Committee; Tremblay, Gilbert P. (2006). "Public Library". Combing through Leominster's History. Office of the Mayor. pp. 145-174
- ^ July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008; cf. The FY2008 Municipal Pie: What's Your Share? Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Board of Library Commissioners. Boston: 2009. Available: Municipal Pie Reports Archived January 23, 2012, at the Wayback Machine... Retrieved 2010-08-04
- ^ Elfland, Mike. "Sentinel & Enterprise Sale Set." Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, Mass.), January 8, 1997.
- ^ "Leominster Champion". Leominster Champion. Viewed on December 26, 2012.
- ^ MBTA website.mbta.com. Retrieved May 25, 2008.
- ^ 
- Leominster official website - Official Site
- Leominster Bible Study Group
- Leominster History
- National Plastics Center & Museum
- Leominster city profile
- Sentinel & Enterprise